Police recruitment is handled by each individual police force, although there are national standards of entrance tests. In England & Wales this is the 'Police Initial Recruitment Test' or 'PIRT', and in Scotland it is the 'Standard Entrance Test.
The ongoing 'Police Could You?' campaign demonstrates the commitment to ongoing police recruitment throughout the UK.
A police career is secure, well paid, exciting and varied. So if you are looking at police recruitment because you are interested in a police career, it is worth putting yourself ahead of the competition by using one of the resources available from those who specialise in maximising your chances of landing a police job at times when all forces are over-subscribed.
There is competition for police jobs, but it is definitely worth it!
Some of the best help available to ensure you pass the police recruitment process can be found at below...
Also, don't forget to sign up for your FREE weekly police newsletter by using the sign-up box on the top left of this page. This will keep you up to date on all police news, including police recruitment and police jobs news.
If you are thinking about applying to join a UK Police force, either as a Police Officer or as a Police Community Support Officer, you will need to meet the general entry requirements. These can vary slightly force to force. Use the links below to see the police recruitment information most relevant to you.
- How to Become a UK Police Officer The most comprehensive CD guides and books available on landing a police job. Insider tips and advice brought to you by current serving Police Officers. This can also be obtained with the pass the police interview guide.
- How to become a PCSO . Over 190 pages in this CD guide to successfully becoming a Police Community Support Officer. The best available. This can also be obtained with a pass the PCSO interview guide.
- The Police Selection Process . An excellent book written by Ian Hutchinson, the ex head of personnel for Thames Valley Police and an acknowledged expert on police recruitment and police career matters.
- In2Police . Several companies run courses throughout the UK to prepare you for the Police Initial Recruitment Test, aiming to help you start your police job by passing the police recruitment process. In2Police is one of the best and is managed by serving police recruitment staff
- Scottish Police Practice Papers . The Scottish police have a different recruitment process than England and Wales. These pre-tests will ensure you are fully prepared.
- More info If you are looking to join the Police, why not get to know those who already have?
Details of Entry Requirements and How to Apply.
- Apply to be a Police Officer in an English or Welsh Police Force
- Apply to be a Special Constable in an English or Welsh Police Force
- Apply to be a Police Officer in a Scottish Police Force
- Apply to be a Special Constable in a Scottish Police Force
- Guides and Information on Joining the Scottish Police
- Apply to be a Cadet in a Scottish Police Force
- Apply to be a Police Officer in the Police Service of Northern Ireland